Promoting Student Engagement in Large Classes
10:00 AM - 12:00 PM
CDTL Dewey Room
Lee, Adrian Michael, Kiruthika Devi Ragupathi
13/12/2019 - 06/02/2020
Teaching a large lecture class presents several unique challenges and therefore requires a higher level of planning – both practical and pedagogical. This session is planned taking into account research that shows an increase in learning gain when learning activities are carefully-designed to increase student engagement in their learning.
This workshop will introduce some of the best practices for tackling the large-lecture experience by focusing on three key areas:
- getting students prepared for lectures,
- promoting interactivity during lecture, and
- encouraging team-based activities.
Through hands-on activities and in-depth discussions, we will explore some research-informed active learning strategies that will enable you to create opportunities for effectively engaging students when teaching in large class settings. Please bring your own device (BYOD) and join us in exploring how technology tools can support active learning and promote engagement in the classroom.
Intended Learning Outcomes
By the end of this session, participants should be able to:
- understand the challenges faced in large classes;
- design learning activities for active learning and engagment; and
- explore how technology tools can be used to support the strategies that promote active engagment.