Empowering Student Voices in your Classroom with FlipGrid
This workshop showcases the affordances of Flipgrid, a video response platform where students can record responses to faculty-posed questions or topics. Video responses can be as short as 15 seconds or as long as 5 minutes. Using a video style discussion forum helps students to articulate their ideas with well-planned responses and consider alternate viewpoints as they listen to their peers' responses. It can also be a great way to gather student responses delivered at their own pace without them feeling "on the spot" in the classroom. Some example of learning activities may include project based learning, student to student collaboration, online discussions, course feedback, and sharing of ideas.
Intended Learning Outcomes
By the end of the session, participants will be able to:
- Apply the affordances of Flipgrid into their own teaching context.
- Create grids to facilitate video discussions.
- Pose questions or topics to spark thoughtful responses from students.
- Provide customized feedback to students’ works.
- Manage grids, topics, and video responses.
- Share video responses.